- Submitted by Dahlia
(Indo Chinese Sesame Chicken, Gingelly Seeds Chicken)
Jump to recipe ↓
Sesame Chicken is a Chinese dish in which boneless skinless chicken pieces are deep fried and then tossed with a sauce made with cornstarch, vinegar, chicken broth and honey / sugar. It is then topped with toasted white sesame seeds. It is served with plain white rice or fried rice or noodles.
Recipe For Sesame Chicken
- Chicken - 1 lb (0.5 Kg) (boneless skinless, cut into small cubes)
- Oil - 2 tbsp (preferably sesame oil)
- Sesame seeds (white) - 2 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 tsp (minced)
- Veggies - 1 cup (chopped lengthwise optional). Any veggies like spring onion, bell peppers etc can be used.
- Chilly garlic sauce - 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Water/Chicken Broth - 1 1/2 cup (or as needed)
- Salt - as needed
- Corn Starch - 2 tbsp (to thicken the sauce)
- Honey - (to add some sweetness to the sauce)
- Marinate the chicken with some soy sauce (2 tbsp) and salt for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the chicken until the chicken is cooked. (The chicken is traditionally deep fried.)
- Remove the chicken and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in the same wok and stir fry the ginger and veggies for just a minute or two.
- Add the sauce ingredients - vinegar, soy sauce, chilly garlic sauce and water/chicken broth. (You can add some corn starch and honey to the sauce depending on how thick and how sweet you want your sauce to be. I haven't added either, to suit to my taste.)
- Bring the sauce to a boil and add the fried chicken pieces. (Check for salt and other seasonings at this stage. Add some chilly powder if you need more heat.)
- Transfer the chicken with the sauce to the serving tray and top it with the sesame seeds.
- Serve with fried rice/ noodles.
More Chinese Recipes