- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 09-22-2012
Beetroot - 1 (medium)
Shallots (Sambhar Onion) - 3
Garlic - 2
Grated Coconut - 4 tblsp
Tamarind - marble sized
Salt - to taste
To roast and grind
Channa dal - 1 tblsp
Urad Dal - 1 tblsp
Corriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 5
Oil - 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Asafoetida - a pinch
1. Wash, peel and cut the beetroot into cubes.
2. In one pan saute the shallots, garlic, tamarind, beetroot cubes and the grated coconut for 5-10 minutes. Switch off and let it cool.
3. In another pan, dry roast the ingredients under 'To roast and grind' till it turns golden brown. Cool it.
4. Take the roasted ingredients in a blender or mixie and powder it.
5. Next add the cooked beetroot- coconut mixture and required salt to this. Add little water and make a chutney. You may grind it coarsely or make a smooth paste as you like.
6. Transfer this to a serving dish.
7. Heat oil in a pan and do the seasoning. Add this right on top of the chutney.
- You can serve this chutney with idli, dosa, white rice ro chappatti.
- You could also spread it on bread to make sandwiches.