- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 08-27-2012
Yam (Chena, Suran) - 200 grams
Plantain (Raw Banana) - 2
Channa dal (Bengal Gram) - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Jaggery - 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Grated coconut - 1/3 cup
Red chilly - 2
Cumin seeds -3/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilly - 1
Curry leaves - few
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup (to be roasted)
1. Soak the chana dal for 15 minutes in warm water and pressure cook till soft.
2. Peel the skin and chop the raw banana and yam into medium size pieces.
3. Grind coconut, red chilly and cumin seeds coarsely and keep it aside.
4. Cook both banana and yam with turmeric powder, salt and chilly powder until soft.
5. Add the cooked bengal gram and jaggery to the above.
6. Then add the grounded paste and boil till it thickens.
7. Now heat a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add red chilly and curry leaves. Pour this seasoning over the koottu curry.
8. Fry coconut till it becomes golden brown and add to the kootu curry.
9. Serve this with rice. This is part of the traditional Sadya.