- submitted by Dahlia on 06-16-2009
(Collard Greens ki Sabzi, Collard Greens Thoran)
Collard greens – 1 bunch
- Onion - 1/4 (chopped)
Green Chilly - 1
- Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Nutmeg Powder - a pinch (optional)
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Oil - 2 tsp
Shredded coconut – 2 tbsp (or 2 tbsp crushed peanuts or 1 egg)
- Wash the green under cold running water.
- Take each leaf and cut the thick stem in the middle and bottom of the leaf.
After the stem from every leaf has been cut, arrange the entire leaves one over the other.
- Roll it up and chop it finely.
Heat oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilli and saute for few minutes.
Add the chopped leaves, turmeric powder, nutmeg powder and required salt.
- Let it cook uncovered till the leaves become tender. The water from the leaves should be enough to cook it. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed.
Finally add shredded coconut or crushed peanuts or egg.
- Toss everything together and cook for another 2 minutes.
Serve with white rice and some curry.
More recipes with greens: