- submitted by Dahlia on 02-19-2008
(Sago Cutlet, Javarisi Vadai, Chowwary Vada)
Sago (sabudana/Javarisi) - 1 cup
Potato - 2 (boiled and peeled)
Onion - 1/4 (grated)
Green Chillies - 2 or 3 (minced)
Ginger - a small piece (grated)
Salt - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Peanuts (optional) - 1/4 cup (coarsely powdered)
Curry leaves - 2 strands
Cilantro - 2 strands
Mint leaves - 4 (Optional)
Asaefoetida - a pinch (optional)
Oil - to deep fry
1. Soak the sago in water for at least three hours or overnight. Drain the water after soaking.
2. Peel the boiled potatoes, mash it well and add it to the drained sago.
3. Add the grated ginger, grated onion, green chillies, peanut powder, cumin seeds, asaefoetida and salt to the above mixture.
4. Finely chop the curry leaves, mint leaves and cilantro and add to the above mixture.
5. Mix everything together. Make small balls out of the mixture, press it with your palms to get the vada shape and keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a deep kadai. When the oil is hot enough deep fry the vadas.
7. Drain the excess oil in paper towel and serve hot with some chutney.