- Submitted by Dahlia
(Virgin Pina Colada, Non alcoholic Pina Colada, Pineapple Coconut Smoothie, Pina Colada Without Alcohol)
Jump to recipe ↓
Pina Colada is a famous cocktail which is the national drink of Puerto Rico. Pina Colada means strained pineapple and it is made with fresh pineapple juice, thick coconut milk and rum.
It is possible to prepare pina colada without alcohol as well. The non alcoholic pina colada is called as Virgin Pina Colada. I had it in a Mexican restaurant in US. Its my daughter favorite drink there. To make this mocktail, you need fresh pineapple cubes, cream of coconut and ice cubes. That's all. Store bought pineapple juice can be used. I have used cream of coconut to make the drink, which is a thicker form of coconut milk. Freshly extracted coconut milk at home can be used.
Pineapples and coconut are available in plenty in India. You can make this drink for guests or for your family. It's great for hot summer days. During season, the pineapples are very sweet and you do not need to add additional sugar. Other times you can add sugar as per your taste. Pineapples are an excellent source of Vitamin C and coconut milk has cooling properties. So make this recipe today and enjoy with kids.
Here is the simple recipe for preparing Non Alcoholic Virgin Pina Colada.
Recipe for making Virgin Pina Colada
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: Nil
- Pineapple Juice - 2 cups (or use 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks + 1/2 cup water)
- Cream of Coconut (or Coconut Milk) - 1 cup
- Crushed Ice Cubes - 1 cup
- Sugar - as required
- If you are making with fresh pineapple cubes, take 2 cups of chopped pineapple and 1/2 cup of water. Blend it in a mixie or blender till smooth. Strain the juice and keep it ready. The other option is to use a good quality store bought pineapple juice.
- Take 1 cup of coconut milk or cream of coconut, 2 cups of pineapple juice and ice cubes in the same blender/mixie. I have used a tin of cream of coconut to make life easier.
- Blend it till it becomes frothy.Add little sugar if you like it sweeter and blend again.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with a pineapple wedge or a cherry and serve.
- Use heavy cream instead of coconut cream for a different flavor. Also, other fruits like banana and strawberries can be added once in a while for a variation.
- The original recipe of pina colada calls for adding 2 spoons of rum to the above mixture. Since I make virgin version, I don;t add it.
Other Non-Alcoholic Beverages