- Submitted by Beryl
(Broccolini Leaves Thoran)
Broccolini is a type of vegetable which looks similar to broccoli. I haven't seen any broccolini leaf in any of the vegetable shop here in Australia or in India.
Recently, I got few broccolini seeds from the shop and planted them in my backyard garden and they grow well. I made poriyal using the broccolini. When I was going through the google, I found that broccolini leaves are also edible, so I thought of making some using this vegetable. I tried making poriyal using the leaves and it came really well. It tastes nice and above all it's highly nutritious also. In this page, let's see how to make this poriyal.
Recipe for Broccolini Leaves Poriyal
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- Broccolini leaves - 2 cups
- Sunflower oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urid dhal - 3 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10
- Onion - 1
- Shallots - 4 numbers
- Green chillies - 3
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 1 tsp (adjust according to your taste)
- Desiccated or grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Salt - as necessary
- Water - about 1/4 cup
- Wash the broccolini leaves thoroughly and cut them into small pieces using a wooden board and knife.
- Now cut the green chillies, shallots and onion.
- Switch on the stove and keep a pan on top of it. Allow it to become hot.
- When the pan gets heated enough, pour sunflower oil or other cooking oil into it.
- When the oil becomes hot enough, put mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add onion, shallots, green chilly and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and stir well till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add broccolini leaves and stir well. Add little bit of water or just sprinkle few drops of water. Take care not to add too much water.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly Powder and mix well. While adding chilly powder, check the spice, as there is already green chilly in the pan
- Add salt as necessary. Mix everything and check the taste.
- When the vegetable is almost done, add grated coconut or desiccated coconut and stir well and check the taste.
- After about 1-2 minutes, switch off the stove and the poriyal is ready to serve.
- Server the Broccolini leaves poriyal with rice and some curry.
More Greens Recipes