- submitted by Dahlia
(Tea time plain cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
Butter Cake, as its name suggests is a soft cake with a dominant flavour of butter. Other than that, the usual cake ingredients like flour, eggs and sugar are mixed. It is almost like a Pound Cake with slightly higher quantity of butter. Butter is first creamed together with sugar till the mix become light and creamy. This incorporates air and make it fluffy.
Butter Cake is a rich, heavy cake wth a velvety texture. It is an ideal cake to be enjoyed as an evening snack with tea. It doesn't need any frosting or topping. It is also one of the easiest cakes for beginners to try. Infact, this is the first cake that I ever baked.
Recipe for Butter Cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Cake Flour (or use Maida) - 1.5 cups (around 200 gms)
- Butter - 1 cup (i.e. around 225 gms at room temperature)
- Powdered Sugar - 1 cup (200 gms)
- Eggs - 4 (200 gms)
- Milk - 1/4 cup (50 gms)
- Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Take the powdered sugar and butter that is at room temperature in a large mixing bowl.
- Cream it together for 5-10 minutes with an electric hand blender on high speed. The sugar should melt completely and the butter should become pale in colour. Air gets mixed with the mix too. Together it becomes soft and creamy. This step is important to make the cake fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and keep mixing. The eggs should blend well with the butter mix. It takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Also mix in vanilla extract. This helps to mask the egg smell.
- Take the cake flour (or maida), baking powder and salt in a sieve. Sieve it couple of times in a separate bowl. This will aerate the flour and remove any lumps. It will also help everything get mixed evenly.
- Add this flour mix and milk alternatively. Keep mixing with a spatula or hand whisk till it blends together and forms a smooth batter. No visible lumps should be there. Once you add the flour, do not over-mix. Otherwise the cake will become hard.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 170 degree C. Also, prepare your cake tin. I have used a 8" square cake tin. I applied some butter, put a parchment paper at the bottom and some more butter on the parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter in this pan. Tap a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or till a toothpick come out clean.
Detailed Steps to make Butter Cake
Take the powdered sugar and softened butter in a large mixing bowl.
Cream it together for 5-10 minutes with an electric hand blender till the sugar melts and the mixture becomes creamy. T
Add eggs one at a time and keep blending.
Mix in the vanilla extract.
Take the cake flour (or maida), baking powder and salt in a sieve. Sieve it to remove any lumps.
Add the flour mix and the milk alternatively. Keep mixing with a spatula till it blends together to form a smooth batter.
In the meantime, preheat your oven to 170 degree C. Also, prepare your cake tin. I have used a square cake tine. I applied some butter, put a parchment paper at the bottom and spread some more butter on the parchment paper.
Pour the cake batter in this pan. Tap a few times to remove air bubbles.
Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or till a toothpick come out clean.
- As I have mentioned in my previous recipes, cake flour can be made at home. Take 1 cup maida and replace 2 tbsp of it with corn flour.
- Let the cake cool down completelly before slicing it. Otherwise it will start crumbling. My kids weren't patient enough and I had to cut the cake while it was warm.
More Cake Recipes