- Submitted by Dahlia
(Compote With Mixed Berries, Quick Compote, Allergy Free Warm Berry Compote, Berry Compote With Ice Cream Tipping)
Compote is a French dessert where any fresh fruit is cooked in sugar syrup with some added flavor. Usually seasonal fruits are used and it is flavored with vanilla, orange, lemon, almond, ginger, cinnamon etc. This is one of the simplest desserts you can make as it comes together in less than 10 minutes. The dessert tastes great served either warm or cold. It can be used as a topping for other desserts and meal choices which I have explained below.
Today I am sharing the recipe for mixed berry compote. I chose to flavor it with some orange juice to add a citrus touch. You can also make this with apples, rhubarb, gooseberries, cherries, plum etc. If you do not have fresh fruits, you can also make this with frozen fruits. It is a very healthy low fat dessert that is safe for allergic kids since it is egg-less, dairy free, gluten free and nut free.
Recipe for Mixed Berry Compote
Preparation Time: 1 minute
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
- Mixed Berries - 2 cups (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, cherries)
- Sugar - 1/4 cup (increase or decrease as per taste)
- Orange Juice/Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Take the berries in a sauce pan. Add the sugar and orange juice. Add the amount of sugar depending on the sweetness of the berries.
- Switch on the flame and bring to a boil.
- After just a few minutes, the sugar melts and bubbles.
- Cook for just a minute or two and switch off before the fruits get overcooked.
Serving Mixed Berry Compote
- This can be served as a dessert warm or cold.
- It can also be served as a topping over vanilla ice cream, pancakes, waffles, pound cake, cheese cake, pavlova, meringues, oatmeal, bun or french toast.
- It can also be used to make breakfast yogurt parfait.
More International Desserts