- Submitted by Dahlia
(Savoury Indian French Toast, Bread Toast with Herbs)
Few days back I shared the recipe for the classic French Toast, also known as Bombay Toast in India. I make it often with leftover sandwich bread for snack or breakfast. I used to make this savoury version of French Toast for my father in law who is diabetic. Slowly my daughter started tasting it and now she loves the savoury one more. Nowadays I have to make equal number of savoury and the classic sweet french toast since everyone loves the savoury one as much as the sweet one.
Initially I used to make Plain Salted French Toast, adding just salt to the egg-milk mixture. Later I started adding crushed black pepper and the toast tasted better. After few days, I tried adding some Italian seasoning and it was a hit. Now I make many variations of it with herbs, with freshly chopped cilantro, with finely chopped veggies, grated cheese etc. It is such a quick and filling breakfast.
Try this savoury french toast soon and I am sure you will be pleased.
Recipe for Savoury French Toast
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Bread Slices - 4
- Eggs - 2
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (or as per taste)
- Crushed Black Pepper - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1 tbsp (finely chopped) or Italian Seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil/ Butter - for toasting
- Crack open the eggs in a wide dish. Add milk, salt, crushed black pepper and finely chopped cilantro to it. Cilantro can be replaced with italian mixed herbs.
- Whisk everything together until well blended.
- Take a frying pan or griddle and heat over medium flame. Spead some oil or butter.
- Dip a bread slice in the prepared batter for just 10 seconds. The bread slice soaks up the egg mixture.
- Place it on the heated pan. Cook for couple of minutes till the bottom is browned.
- Flip the slice gently and cook the other side too.
- Remove from the pan. Repeat the same with the other slices of bread.
- Veggies like finely chopped onions, capsicum, mushrooms, spinach, grated carrots can be mixed with the egg mixture to make this a full meal. Grated cheese can also be added.
- As I said before, try the same recipe with different types of bread. The recipe for shared French Toast with Baguette Bread is given separately.
Serving Savoury French Toast
- Savoury French Toast can also be served as an evening snack with a cup of tea.
- Serve it for breakfast with some green chutney or tomato ketchup.
More Sandwich Recipes