- Submitted by Beryl
(Palak aur Lobia ki Sabzi, Greens and Beans)
Jump to recipe ↓
Palak is a healthy vegetable, that is widely used in Indian cuisine. Black eyed bean adds taste to Palak when it is cooked and combined with Palak. Now let's see the recipe for Palak and black eyed bean thoran.
Recipe for Spinach Black Eyed Peas Thoran
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Spinach (Palak) - 1 medium size bunch
- Black eyed bean - 1/4 cup
- Onion -1
- Green chilies - 4 to 5
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Sunflower oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10 numbers
- Urad dhal - 2 tsp
- Wash the black eyed beans and cook with water and required quantity of salt in a pressure cooker or in a pan. Take care not to overcook the beans.
- Cut the garlic, ginger, onion, green chillies and palak into small pieces. Grate the coconuts. Keep all the ingredients ready for cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan and when it gets heated, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add urid dhal and stir with a spoon.
- When the urid dhal becomes golden brown colour, add onion, ginger and garlic and stir. Now add green chili pieces and stir well.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Stir in between.
- Now add palak leaves and stir. Do not add water as there is plenty of water in palak itself.
- Stir in between till all the water gets absorbed. Now add the already cooked black eyed bean and mix so that all the masalas are mixed well.
- Now add grated coconut and stir. The palak black eyed bean poriyal is ready to serve with rice.
- You can use any other type of bean like adzuki beans, green peas or chickpeas instead of black eyed bean.
- Do not overcook the beans and palak leaves.
- Soaking the black eyed beans in water for few hours reduces the cooking time considerably. So soak it if you plan ahead.
- This spinach and black eyed peas thoran can be served with rice and some curry.
More Greens Recipes