- Submitted by Dahlia
(Broccoli and Green Gram Poriyal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Broccoli is rich in nutrients and so is Green Gram. The combination of these two makes it a super food. The addition of green gram adds a nice texture and taste to the side dish.
There are many broccoli recipes in this site. Its one of the favourite vegetable in our house. However, I understand that not everyone enjoy the taste of broccoli. Those who do not like broccoli can try this combo. This Broccoli Green Gram Poriyal goes well with moru kuzhambu or kaara kuzhambu. It can also be served with chapathi.
Recipe For Broccoli Green Gram Stir Fry
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Broccoli - 1/2
- Green Gram – ½ cup
- Onion – ½ (chopped)
- Green Chilies – 3 (chopped)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chili - 1
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash the broccoli, separate the florets and chop it finely.
- Wash the green gram and pressure cook it for 3 whistles with about 1.5 cups of water. It should be cooked soft but not become mushy.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add oil and crackle the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When it splatters, add asafoetida, broken dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, green chillies and turmeric powder.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets and required salt. Sprinkle some water, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- When the broccoli florets are ¾th cooked, add the cooked green gram and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally add the grated coconut and stir fry for 3-4 minutes. Switch off when all the moisture dries up. Enjoy with rice or roti.
- This side-dish goes well with rice and some curry like moru kuzhambu, rasam or kaara kuzhambu.
- This also can be served with chapathi.
- Those who are on diet can have it as a salad.
Broccoli Green Gram Stir Fry with Rice
More Broccoli Recipes