- Submitted By Dahlia
(Gravy with Murunga, Raw Mango and Jack fruit Seeds)
Jump to recipe ↓
This curry made with a combination of starchy jackfruit seeds, fleshy drumsticks and sour raw mangoes is a popular one in Kerala. It is made whenever jackfruit is in season.
The same curry can be made with any 2 of the above ingredients depending on availability. Tomoto can be substituted for raw mango if you don't have. If you are a non-veg lover, you can add prawns to this combo.
The process of peeling the jackfruit seeds takes some time. I usually do it the previous day. The curry tastes absolutely delicious with white rice. Do give it a try.
Recipe For Chakkakuru Manga Muringaka Curry
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Jack fruit Seeds - 20-25
- Drumstick (MoringaMoringaMoringa) - 1 big
- Raw mango - 1 small
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Small onions - 4
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 3 cups
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Small onion - 1 (chopped)
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Peel the white skin of the jackfruit seeds. Scrape the brown peel as much as you can. Slice it ito pieces.
- In a clay pot, take the jackfruit seeds, add enough water to cover it. Cook for about 10 minutes till it becomes soft.
- Add drumstick (moringa) pieces, raw mango pieces, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Add more water if needed.
- Cook for another 5 minutes till everything becomes soft.
- Grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds and small onions to a smooth paste with required water.
- Add this to the cooked vegetables. Add about 2 cups of water to bring the curry to the right consistency.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil for tempering. Pop mustard seeds. Add chopped small onion and dry red chilies. Cook till onions become brown. Add curry leaves finally.
- Add this tempered oil on the curry and switch off. Cover with a lid and rest for 5 minutes before serving. This induces the flavour of the tempering in the curry.
- Enjoy the hot chakkakuru manga muringaka curry with white rice.
More Drumstick (Moringa) Recipes
More Jackfruit Seeds Recipes
More Raw Mango Recipes