- Submitted by Dahlia
(Channa Dal ki Sabzi, கடலைப் பருப்பு மசாலா, Bengal Gram Dal Sabzi)
Jump to recipe ↓
Chana dal sabzi is a thick curry made with bengal gram dal. It is protein rich, absolutely simple to make and extremely delicious. This curry goes well with a bowl of white rice, jeera rice or chapathi. The consistency of the sabzi depends on your personal taste. It tastes good when it is made little thick. I personally prefer to make this sabzi for dinners after work. It requires less preparation and less time to make.
Recipe for Chana Dal Sabzi
- Dry Chana Dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomatoes – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chili - 1
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – handful
- Curry Leaves - few
- Wash the chana dal and soak it for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add diced onion and sliced green chili. Saute for few minutes till it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes till it becomes mashed up. Add few spoons of water if it starts sticking.
- Drain the chana dal, 2 cups of water and required salt. Cook for 4 whistles.
- After the presssure goes down, open the lid, add garam masala and Kassori methi. Cook for few minutes till the flavours blend.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
More Chickpea Recipes