- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kalakki Omelette, Muttai Kalakki, Egg Kalakki)
Jump to recipe ↓
Kalakki is a popular road side food from Tamilnadu found in small eateries, thallu vandis etc. Thallu Vandi shops or portable road side shops serve some delicacies which are very addictive. There are many people who prefer these shops more than restaurants.
Coming back to the recipe, Kalakki in Tamil literally means “to mix”. Salna is usually available in road side shops everyday. Couple of tbsp of this salna is beaten with the egg and then omelette is made. This adds an additional punch to the omelette that makes it a delicasy.
I make this at home whenever I have little left over chicken curry or mutton curry.
Recipe For Kalaki Omelette
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Eggs - 2
- Chicken Salna - 4 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Break the eggs in a bowl and beat it with a whisk.
- Add the salna, salt and black pepper powder to the eggs. Mix well.
- Heat a frying pan. Add a tsp of oil and pour the beateb egg mixture.
- Since salna is added, the egg mixture starts flowing around the edges of the pan. Using a spoon, ring the egg mix in the edges to the middle.
- The omelette will have a unique shape like a wrapped up parcel. Cook for just 10-15 seconds and try to careflly remove it.
- The outside part of the egg will be cooked and the inside will be still soft. This is the perfect texture.
- Take it in a serving plate and add finely chopped coriander leaves on top.
- Serve the hot kalaki omelette as a snack or as a side dish with rice or any tiffen item.
More Egg Recipes