- Submitted by Dahlia
(കാന്താരി ഉപ്പിലിട്ടത്ത്, காந்தாரி மிளகாய் ஊறுகாய், Kanthari Milagai Urugai, Kanthari Uppilithathu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Kanthari Milagai or Mulaku is also called as Bird’s eye chili. It is small in size but super spicy. This chili variety is common in the state of Kerala and southern part of Tamilnadu. It is used to make chutneys and curry. However the most popular is this recipe Kanthari Uppilithathu.
These tiny chilies are soaked for 1-2 weeks in vinegar and salt. It gets well soaked and becomes like a pickle. This can then be served with kanji, chapathi or rice. The spiciness of the chilies gets mellowed down with the addition of salt and vinegar. Its a great pickle to have on hand.
Recipe For Kanthari Uppilittathu
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: Nil
- Kanthari Mulaku (Bird’s Eye Chilies) - 200 gms
- White Vinegar - 1cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Wash the chilies and wipe it with a clean kitchen cloth.
- Boil the water and cool it completely.
- Take a clean glass bottle and add the chilies.
- Add salt, vineger and water in the bottle such that the chilies are well soaked.
- Close the bottle and store in a cool, dry place.
- Let it soak for at least a week before serving. The longer it soaks, it tastes good.
- Bird's eye chili pickle is usually served as a condiment with plain rice, curd rice, kanji, chapathi, etc..
More Chili Pepper Recipes