-Submitted by Dahlia on 6th Dec 2010
Pasta with white sauce, Pasta with Bechamel Sauce, Alfredo Pasta
Bechamel Sauce which is popularly known as the White Sauce is one of the mother sauces. It is made by cooking equal quantities of butter and flour under low heat to form a roux. The whole sauce has to be done in low heat to retain the white color of the sauce. Once the roux is cooked, milk is added gradually with constant stirring and cooked until the sauce thickens. It can be flavored with any of the optional ingredients that I have mentioned below.
This sauce is used to make a variety of other sauces which I have listed below. So lets learn to make this basic sauce. I have given the recipe for Pasta with white sauce below. This sauce can also be used to make lasagnas, sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, alfredo pizza etc. The measurements given below makes a medium thick sauce. If you want to thin it out, add an additional 1 cup of milk.
Butter - 2 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour - 2 tbsp
Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (or as needed)
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion Powder - 1/2 tsp
Italian Seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 tsp
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- Add the flour and keep mixing till the raw smell of the flour is gone and a nice nutty aroma comes.
Add warm milk little by little and keep mixing the mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and other optional ingredients (if you are adding) and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes and switch off. This basic white sauce is also called Bechamel Sauce. You can use this sauce immediately or store it in the refrigerator for up to a week for later use.
- Use heavy cream instead of milk and you have Cream Sauce.
- Add about 1/2 cup of cheese to the sauce and you have Cheese Sauce. This sauce is also used for pastas and is called Alfredo Sauce.
- Add 1 tsp of mustard powder and you have Mustard Sauce.
Pasta with White Sauce (Alfredo Pasta)
- Pasta - 2 cups
- White (Bechamel) Sauce - 2 cups
- Cheese - 1/2 cup (Mozzarella, Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese)
- Boil any variety of pasta according to the package instructions. The pasta should be cooked al dente i.e. it should have a cooked but with a firm bite to it and not get mushy.
- Drain the pasta.
- Heat required amount of white sauce in a pan, add 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese and melt it. I usually prefer a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Add little milk (about 1/2 cup to 1 cup) to thin out the sauce as needed.
- When the sauce is heated through, mix in the cooked pasta. Yummy Alfredo Pasta is ready to serve.
Other Sauce Recipes