- Submitted by Dahlia
(Yelaneer, Karikku, Nariyal Paani)
Breaking a coconut might be a real challenge for many. With practice, it can be mastered by anyone. Why take all this effort???? Because fresh coconut/tender coconut tastes nothing like the canned/frozen ones.
How to cut a coconut/ tender coconut?
- Get yourself a big firm knife. Usually a vettukathi (machete) is used to break open a coconut.
- First cut away the husk of the coconut little at a time until the inner hard shell is exposed. For tender coconuts, it is enough if the husk in the upper half is removed.
- Now if you want to drink the coconut juice with a straw, place the coconut in its side. Cut a small portion of the top off, just enough to insert a straw.
- If not, just place the coconut in its side on a firm surface. Hold it with your hands carefully.
- Strike the coconut swiftly with the knife until the hard shell breaks open. Be careful to hold the coconut away from the spot you intent to crack open.
- Once it cracks, pour out the juice into a bowl.
- Split the coconut shell into 2 halves. Scoop off the tender coconut meat with a spoon or a knife.
Now enjoy the tender coconut water and the meat as such. It is the most refreshing drink for any summer day. If not, add the meat, tender coconut water and some ice cubes to a blender or mixie and puree it. Pour it into glasses and serve as coconut milk shake or tender coconut smoothie.
In southern part of India, people like to add the tender coconut water and meat while making the aapam batter. It is also common to eat the tender coconut meat with some jaggery.
You could also use the water and the meat for many more recipes according to your own creativity. Some suggestion would be tender coconut payasam, tender coconut salad (with some palm sugar), tender coconut pudding, tender coconut ice cream, tender coconut souffle etc. Here is the recipe for tender coconut pudding.
Tender Coconut Pudding
- Tender coconut - from 1 coconut (or you can use 1 can)
- Tender coconut Juice - 1.5 cups
- Coconut milk - 1.5 cup
- Condensed milk - 1 can
- Gelatin - 2 tbsp
- Soak the gelatin in the tender coconut water.
- Warm this mixture till all the gelatin dissolves completely. Let this cool a bit.
- In the meantime, scoop the tender coconut meat and chop it into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the coconut milk, condensed milk, tender coconut meat and the tender coconut water (with gelatin dissolved).
- Mix well. Taste the mixture and add more sugar if needed.
- Pour the mixture in a pudding pan and let it set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours till it becomes firm.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios, almonds or cashews and serve chilled.
Put the mixture in the freezer instead of the refrigerator and you will have delicious home made tender coconut ice cream.
More Recipes with Tender Coconut