- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 09-28-2012
(Poondu Vengaya Kulambu)
- Sambhar Onions (Pearl Onions) - 6-8 (cut into halves)
Garlic Cloves - 12-15
- Tamarind - Lemon size
Sambhar Powder - 3 tbsp (Use any brand)
- Salt - to taste
- For Tempering
Sesame Oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the pulp. Keep aside. (You can put it in microwave and extract the pulp without soaking for a long time.)
Heat the oil in a kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. The fenugreek seeds gives a nice flavor to the gravy.
- Add the asafoetida, curry leaves, pearl onions and garlic cloves.
- Saute on medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add the sambhar powder and fry for a minute.
- Add the extracted tamarind pulp, required water and salt.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the flame and let it simmer till oil separated from the gravy.
- Instead of using store bought sambhar powder, you can prepare the masala powder at home. Dry roast 1 tbsp channa dal, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp peppercorns, 5-7 dry red chillies. Make a powder and add to the gravy. This freshly made powder is much more flavorful than the store bought powder. But for busy moms and working ladies, a good brand of sambhar powder is the best alternative.
Other Garlic Recipes
Other Chettinad Recipes