- Submitted by Dahlia on 28th Jul 2008
(Imli Ki Chutney, Puli Chammandhi, Sweet Tamarind Chutney)
Tamarind dates chutney is a sweet and tangy chutney commonly used in chaats and as a dip for many indian snacks.
Recipe for Tamarind Date Chutney
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes (optional)
Tamarind - 100 gms
- Dates (pitted) - 100 gms
- Jaggery - 100 gms
- Soak the tamarind and dates in little warm water for 15-20 minutes till it becomes soft. You can put it in the microwave for a minute or boil it to speed up the process.
- Grind this with jaggery to a fine paste. This can be done as such if the jaggery is of good quality. If not, follow the next few steps.
- In a pan, take equal quantities of dates, tamarind, jaggery and water. Cook for 8-10 minutes until jaggery is dissolved and the mixture becomes slightly thick.
- Most of the time I do not add ant spices since I add it while making the chaat. If needed, you can add 1/2 tsp each of red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Cool it down. Grind the mixture in mixer till smooth and strain it.
- Pass it through a seive to get a smooth puree. The chutney is ready to be served. It can be stored in the fridge for up to a month.
- You can use sugar instead of jaggery and dates too.
More Chutney Recipes