- Submitted by Dahlia on 7th Jul 2008
(Hari Chutney, Mint Coriander Chutney, Cilantro Chutney, Chaat Green Chutney)
Any Indian chaat is incomplete without the addition of green chutney or commonly known as “hari chutney”. The popular green chutney adds spice and zing to the chaat varieties. It is also one of the healthiest additions to the chaat varieties. This chutney aids in digestion and enhances the taste, aroma and nutrition of any dish. Once this chutney is ready, many chaat items like sev puri, ragada pattice, dahi papdi chaat, bhel puri can be made instantly. It also serves as an excellent accompaniment for snacks like onion pakoda, bajjis, kebabs, cutlets and sometimes even oothappams. Sometimes, it can also be used as a spread for sandwiches and kathi rolls and also as dips. This green chutney is extremely versatile condiment and can be used in any way or other. The main ingredients used are mint leaves and cilantro or coriander leaves, which are easily available in any kitchen and both these herbs, impart the best of flavors and taste to any dish. Keep this instant green chutney ready and make your snack time quick, healthy and tasty. Cheers!!
Recipe for Green Chutney
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Mint leaves - 2 cups
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) - 2 cups
- Onion - 1/4
- Lemon juice - 1 or 2 tbsp
- Green Chilies - 10-12
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Combine all the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste in a blender or mixie. (Do not use any water for grinding or use very little water. The moisture from the onions, cilantro and the lemon juice should be sufficient for grinding).
- Add a good amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice as that helps in masking the raw flavor of the herbs. Adjust all the ingredients as per your taste.
- Use it immediately. Refrigerate or freeze the left overs and use as required.
- If you do not like the raw smell of onion in the chutney, just add 1/2 of a green bell pepper (capsicum) instead.
- The other option is to use 1/2 of a green apple. Both of these gives a good flavor to the chutney.
- Some hotels also add a handful of fresh spinach leaves to the chutney for a deep green color.
- You can make this chutney in bulk and put it in ice tray. After it is frozen, put the chutney cubes in a ziploc bag in the freezer. This way you can take a cube and use it whenever needed.
More Chutney Recipes