- Submitted by Dahlia
(Hariyali Murgh, Cilantro Mint Chicken Curry, Herbal Chicken Curry, Hariyali Chicken)
Jump to recipe ↓
Hariyali Murgh, also known as Green Chicken Curry, is a flavorful and aromatic dish from the India. The dish is made with tender chicken pieces that are marinated in a blend of fresh green herbs and spices, giving it a vibrant green color and a unique taste.
The marinade for green chicken curry typically includes fresh coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chili peppers, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala. The chicken is coated in the marinade and allowed to sit for several hours to soak up the flavors before being grilled or cooked in a tandoor oven.
The result is a delicious and tender chicken dish with a slightly tangy, mildly spicy, and earthy taste, and a fresh and vibrant aroma of herbs and spices. It is usually served with naan bread, rice, or salad and can be enjoyed as a main course or as a starter. Hariyali murgh is a popular dish in many Indian restaurants and is also easy to make at home. Follow this recipe to make green chicken curry at your home.
Recipe For Green Chicken Curry
Serves : 4
- Chicken - 2 lbs (1 kg)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Heavy Cream - 1/4 cup (You could also use thick coconut milk instead)
- Lemon Juice - 3-4 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Salt - as needed
- Cilantro - 1 bunch
- Mint - 1/2 bunch
- Green Chillies - 4-5
- Shallots - 3
- Ginger - 1.5 " piece
- Garlic - 7-8 cloves
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper powder and lemon juice for at least half an hour before preparing the curry.
- Make a smooth paste of all the ingredients under 'to grind'. Try to avoid water while grinding or add as little as possible.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the bay leaf and fennel seeds.
- Add the finely chopped onions and fry till it is golden brown.
- Add the ground paste and let it cook until the oil separates from the masala. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Fry for about half a minute before adding the chicken.
- After adding the chicken, saute it with the masala for at least 3 minutes.
- Add required water, salt and bring it to a boil. Cover the pan and cook till the chicken is no more raw and oil starts separating from the gravy.
- Add the heavy cream to the curry and mix well. Switch off. The green chicken curry is ready to be served.
More Chicken Recipes