- Submitted by Dahlia
(Pulled Chicken Burger with Barbecue Sauce, Barbeque Chicken Sandwich)
Kids of this generation have an attraction towards sandwich varieties. In a way it is one good option for breakfast or for lucn boxes. Sandwiches are so filling yet simple to put together. I have shared quite a few sandwiches with various stuffings. In my family, we enjoy making sandiwiches with meat stuffing during weekends. Kids love the change from the usual South Indian menu.
This pulled chicken sandwich is one that I make often. I had already shared how I make shredded chicken and chicken stock at home and freeze them. Whenever needed I can quickly mix with some spices of choice and make a quick sandwich. I make it with Indian spices, Chinese sauces etc. One such pulled chicken sandwich that I make is the BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich.
This sandwich is quite easy to put together if you have Barbecue Sauce on hand. Most of the times I also make Barbecue Sauce at home. Shredded chicken mixed with barbecue sauce and topped over toasted buns make this delicious sandwich. It is satisfying and filling. I have shared the recipe for making the pulled chicken sandwich with BBQ sauce from scratch below. Do try it.
Recipe for BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6
- Burger Buns - 6
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onion – 1 (finely sliced)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (chopped)
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper (powdered) – 1/2 tsp
- Barbecue (BBQ) Sauce – 1.5 cups
- Cut the chicken of about 1 kg into four big chunks. Wash it nicely and pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
- Mix together red chili powder, salt and crushed black pepper in a bowl and sprinkle it all over the chicken pieces.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken pieces and cook for few minutes to brown one side.
- Flip and brown the other side too.
- Now add chopped onions, garlic and water to the same pan. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes to cook the chicken completely. Switch off.
- After it cools a bit, take out each chicken pieces on a plate. Shred it using 2 forks or with your hands.
- Repeat the same with all the chicken pieces.
- Add this shredded chicken back to the same frying pan which has the cooked onions and garlic. Also pour sufficient amount of BBQ sauce. Cook for few minutes so that all the flavours come together.
- Cut the burger buns into half, toast it and scoop some of the pulled chicken on one half of the bun. Add a lettuce and place the top slice of the bun.
Detailed Steps to make BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandiwch
I got a full chicken of about 1 kg and cut into four big chunks. Wash it nicely and pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
Mix together red chili powder, salt and crushed black pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle it all over the chicken pieces and rub it all around.
Heat a large frying pan and add some oil. Add the chicken pieces and cook for few minutes till one side is browned.
Flip and brown the other side too. Add chopped onions, garlic and water to the same pan.
Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till the chicken is cooked fully. Switch off and cool for few minutes.
Remove each chicken pieces on a plate.
Shred it using 2 forks or just with your hands.
Repeat the same with all the chicken pieces. Now you have the shredded chicken ready.
Add this shredded chicken back to the same frying pan which has the cooked onions and garlic.
Pour sufficient amount of BBQ sauce so that it coats every piece generously.
Cook for about 5 minutes so that all the flavours come together.
Cut the burger buns into half and toast it. Scoop a pile of the pulled chicken on one half of the bun. Add a lettuce and place the top slice of the bun.
More Sandwich Recipes