- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 08-28-2012
(Tamarind Ginger Pickle)
Tamarind - 1 big lemon sized ball
Green chillies - 10 nos (finely chopped) (Use less spicy ones - adjust accoding to your taste)
Ginger - a medium size piece (finely chopped)
Jaggery - 2 pieces or 2 tblsp grated (adjust the same according to your taste)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
salt - as required
Oil - 2 tblsp
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp
Channa dal (Bengal Gram) - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and channa dal.
3. When it splutters, add the chopped green chilly, ginger and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
4. Add the tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, salt, jaggery and boil
5. Boil it till it starts reducing and you get a semi solid inchi puli.
6. Add the asafoetida. Remove from the gas.
This is a kind of pickle and served on the left hand side of the banana leaf during the "sadya". It lasts for about a month if kept in fridge.