- Submitted by Dahlia
(Beetroot Thoran, Beetroot Sabzi, Stir fried beets)
Beetroot is a nutrient packed edible root vegetable. Some of its health benefits include protecting against liver disease and reducing blood pressure. Beetroot poriyal is one of the easiest preparations that tastes awesome with rice and some curry. My daughter specially loves to mix this poriyal with plain rice or curd rice and enjoy it as "Pink Rice". You can grate the beetroot, chop it finely or slice it thinly lengthwise to prepare this side dish.Sometimes you get beets along with its leaves. You could also prepare the poriyal by cooking beetroot along with the beet leaves. I have already shared the recipe for Turnip with Turnip Greens.
Recipe For Beetroot Poriyal
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - about 15 minutes
Serves - a family of 4
- Beetroot - 1 big (chopped or grated)
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Sambhar Powder (or Red Chilly Powder) - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
For The Seasoning
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 2
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Wash the beetroot, peel the skin and chop it into small pieces. You can also grate the beetroot and proceed.
- Heat the oil in a pan or kadai and splutter the mustard seeds. When it pops, add the urad dal, asafoetida, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Next add the chopped beetroot and required salt.
- Cover and cook on low flame and until soft. Sprinkle some water and stir in between to prevent it for getting burnt.
- After about 5 minutes, the beetroot gets cooked. Add the sambhar powder and grated coconut.
- Increase the flame, stir fry for a minute and switch off.
- Serve the Beetroot Poriyal as an accompaniment with rice and some curry.
Rice with beetroot poriyal (stir fry), potato fry and vallarai keerai kulambu
- Soak some channa dal for about 15 minutes, cook it and add along with the beetroot for a tasty variation.
More Beetroot Recipes
More Poriyal Recipes