- Submitted by Dahlia
(Thoran, Sabzi, Vegetable hash, Vegetable Puttu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Poriyal is a famous dry dish made in Tamil nadu with any vegetable which is served as a sidedish for lunch or dinner with rice and some curry. The vegetable that is used is finely chopped/ grated, cooked and tossed with a generous amount of fresh grated coconut. The poriyal is named based on the vegetable that is used like beans poriyal, broccoli poriyal, beetroot poriyal, carrot poriyal, cabbage poriyal, turnip poriyal, keerai (spinach) poriyal, collard greens poriyal, mustard greens poriyal, turnip greens poriyal, radish greens poriyal, beetleaves poriyal, swiss chard poriyal, kale poriyal, rutabaga poriyal, vendaya keerai poriyal (fenugreek leaves), murunga keerai poriyal (drumstick leaves), mullangi (radish) poriyal, podalanga poriyal (snakegourd) , kovakai poriyal (ivygourd), peerkanga poriyal (ridgegourd), vendakai poriyal (ladiesfinger), cauliflower poriyal, asparagus poriyal, parsnip poriyal, brussels sprout poriyal etc.
You could also make poriyal with cooked dry beans which is often reffered to as sundal.
Another variation is to use combinations of vegetables like beans carrot poriyal, cabbage carrot poriyal, cabbage green peas poriyal, cabbage broccoli poriyal, broccoli carrot poriyal, broccoli green gram poriyal etc. The following is the generalized recipe that I have given which can be used for any vegetables. Use you own choice of vegetable or combination of vegetables and enjoy this hearty side dish with rice and gravy.
Recipe For Microwave Vegetable Poriyal
- Vegetable (You can use any vegetable or combination of vegetables) - 1 lb (finely chopped or grated)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped/grated)
- Green Chilly - 1 (finely chopped)
- Coconut - ¼ cup(grated)
- Split black gram - ¼ tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilly - 2
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Take the oil in a microwave safe glass or ceramic bowl. Heat it on micropower high for 1 minute.
- Add the mustard seeds and heat for another 1 minute. The mustard seeds should start popping by now.
- Add the dry red chilly, split black gram and curry leaves. Microwave for 1 minute.
NOTE: You can also make the tadka on stove top using the small tadka stand and proceed from here.
- Add the onions and green chillies and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped/grated vegetable and salt. Microwave on micropower high for 5 minutes.
- Mix everything so that the vegetable gets cooked evenly. Microwave again for 3-7 minutes depending on the vegetable you are cooking.
- The time also depends on the quantity of the vegetable and the different microwave models.
Here is the total time that my microwave takes for 1 lb of different vegetables:
- Cabbage - 8 minutes
- Beans - 12 minutes
- Ivygourd - 13 minutes
- Broccoli - 4 minutes
- Carrot - 5 minutes
- Beetroot - 5 minutes
- Asparagus - 3 minutes
- Finally add the fresh grated coconut, mix it well with the cooked vegetable and microwave for 1 minute. Quick and easy poriyal is ready to serve.
- Poriyal is an everyday dish in Tamil Nadu. Its variation is called Thoran in Kerala. In both tamil nadu and kerala, this is served with rice and some curry.
- It can also be served as a sabzi (sidedish) with chappatti.
- People on diet can have this as a salad for a light meal.
- Health concious people can add crushed peanuts instead of grated coconut.
- One raw egg can be broken and added to the vegetable to enhance the flavour.
- Those who like crunchy poriyal can increase the amount of urad dal and also add some channa dal along.
More Microwave Recipes