- Submitted by Dahlia on 21st Mar 2016
(Pita Bread Sandwich, Pita Pocket Sandwich, Vegetarian Pita Sandwich)
Pocket Sandwich is a type of sandwich made by stuffing inside any hollow bread variety like Pita. Some of the popular pocket sandwiches include Hot Pockets, Stromboli, Pizza Rolls, Gyros, Falafel, Shawarma etc. I will be sharing the recipes of each of these as and when I get a chance.
Many of us make the usual sandwich made with white bread. Some of us might be making Burgers and Wraps too. Here is another kind of sandwich that can be made with different stuffing of your choice. Most of us love food served in new and different ways. Today I want to share the basic Pita Pocket Sandwich recipe. I wouldn’t call it a recipe but rather an idea for you to incorporate. This is an interesting way of serving a complete meal. You can have the pita bread halves, patties, yogurt sauce and the vegetables for stuffing in a serving platter. Each person can assemble their sandwich themselves and enjoy. Kids would feel proud to make their own pita sandwich. You can easily make this for your next party too.
I have already shared the recipe of making your own homemade Pita Bread. You can very well use store bought pita bread too. Next, you can make any patties of your choice. I have already shared quite a few patties in my site which I have listed below. Once you have the patties ready, assemble your own pita sandwich and enjoy.
Recipe for making Pita Pocket Sandwich
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Nil
Serves : 3
- Make the patties of your choice. I have given a few vegetarian patties options in my website like
- Prepare the yogurt dressing (tzatziki) by mixing 1/2 cup of Greek Curd with 1 clove of garlic finely chopped, ¼ cup of finely chopped cucumber, 1 tbsp of finely chopped dill leaves, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. This creamy yogurt sauce is traditionally served with all types of pita sandwich.
- Make your own pita bread at home or buy some store bought pita bread.
Method (For assembling the sandwich)
- Take the pita bread halves and warm it on the griddle or in the oven. Do this when you are ready to assemble and serve.
- Stuff each pita half with 1 patty, 2 tomato slices, 1 lettuce leaf, 1 tbsp of tzatziki sauce and a few drops of hot sauce. Hot sauce is purely optional and is suggested only for those who prefer your sandwich extra hot. Sometimes, I also like to add slices of carrot and cucumber.
- Wrap it in a paper towel and serve immediately.
More Sandwich Recipes